Drum Demon Mini (work in progress)

Where to share your BC Modular creations
w_ellis

Drum Demon Mini (work in progress)

Post by w_ellis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a drum machine patch, especially looking to take advantage of the CLM modules and the modular CC control that we are lucky enough to have available to us. I intend to make it 8-part, with a CLM per part. There will be a top-level BCM module (Performance Ctrl) that will handle the real-time control parameters and then each CLM will have CCs set up on individual midi channels to allow the lower level tuning parameters to be tweaked. This will open up the possibility of having a BCR2000 (or similar) preset for each of the drum sounds for the low-level editing.

I decided to post my progress so far, whereby the initial versions of sub-kick drum and hihats are in place. The idea is that it will be easy to pull out a specific drum sound implementation and plug in a replacement easily, e.g. putting in a sample-playback version etc.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/503 ... n-mini.zip

I'd love any feedback on the concept and I hope it works for you (Simon had licence issues with an earlier version, but it is now constructed solely with BC modules).

Thanks,
Will

jksuperstar

Re: Drum Demon Mini (work in progress)

Post by jksuperstar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 am

This is a great idea. I'll try to make some time for it in the next week or so. This could make for a VERY cool drum machine :)

(ie - I'm already thing of a CLM loaded with sequencers, or cellular automata, LFO's with S&H, or....)

sharc
Site Admin

Post by sharc » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 am

Looking good :)

Not sure what non-BC module was causing the problem before, but this new patch loads without any issues.

It even loads onto my 3dsp card, although I don't think the 8-part version will fit.

For ease of swapping out the drum parts as well as being able to load the each part as a separate patch it might be worth considering the Patch Loader module :idea:

w_ellis

Post by w_ellis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 am

Yeah, now I understand the BC-Pipe better, I definitely think I can switch in the Patch Loader, which should be ideal for this patch. I assume the main patch preset will be able to switch the selected patch for the Patch Loaders underneath?

sharc
Site Admin

Post by sharc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am

w_ellis wrote:I assume the main patch preset will be able to switch the selected patch for the Patch Loaders underneath?
At the moment the presets for the loaded patch are separated from the parent presets. There are a couple of work arounds.

1) You could switch the presets for the loaded patch via MIDI. A Multi-Mo module set to program change would do the trick. If you're already using the patch loader's MIDI IN, an MM2 module can be used to merge in the Multi-Mo messages.

2) The alternative is to keep all controls in the parent level and connect them to loaded patch parameters via the BC-Pipes. That way the parent presets alter the controls as you'd expect and the parameters in the loaded patch get updated.

Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks for sharing your patch Will. Very cool. 8-)