It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 am

M4L:SynCompSynth

Where to share your BC Modular creations
  • Author

cwmod

M4L:SynCompSynth

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 am

my first M4L patch: a little nice synth :P .
scope file here
M4L patch here
short oldscool acid-like demo here
thanks Will and Sharc!

w_ellis

Re: M4L:SynCompSynth

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 am

That sounds great Roy. Fantastic demo of smooth modulation! I had a quick look at the M4L patch and you've made good use of the custom displays there.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the process of creating the patch. Did you find it quick, once you understood the concept? Were there any frustrations/things you think we should focus on improving?

cwmod

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks Will.
-One thing I actually missed (despite I've said it's not so important) is parameter fb.
Namely when making/using presets: I think that doing this in Scope is much easier than in Live. Without ParaFb your patch in Live is not updated, which can cause difficulties.
-when using BCM modules which have not the default full 32bit range (eg delays, Envelopes) you have to know the exact (or useful) values, and then type them into the relevant SS popup module. Please include that fact in the manual, maybe with some typical values (can easily be sorted out cause it's concerning just a few -but quite important- modules)
-patching in Scope BCM: yes, I had to fiddle quite a lot sometimes to get the pads connected. But that's because of the compromise space vs. convenience of use. Long live the cabel hide/unhide/solo button!
-all in all, it's a bit challenging because you have to make
--a BCM patch
--decide what parameters are vital/have to be accessible in live, and edit the regarding SS module
--edit the M4L patch in Live
But then, you have Scope sound and seamless tweaking in Live - wonderful!
ps: please dl the Scope patch SynCompSynth_M4L.zip again, as the previous version had total DC offset :oops:

w_ellis

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am

That's great feedback Roy, thanks. Those pretty much match up to my own experiences and we're looking to do whatever we can to improve on all of these. Actually, bidirectional communication using the audio method should be quite achievable, but I'm hoping that we'll get an audio-less communication method working, which will make certain improvements much easier to achieve (including being able to pass names, ranges and display types around).

One tip Simon gave me re. parameter ranges is that the async connections between the control modules and the modules you want to control are bidirectional. This means you can adjust the original control (usually by using a fader in the relevant BC popup) to its minimum and maximum values to see in the Control Edit window what values to use. Still not completely seamless, but makes it a lot easier.

sharc

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

It's really good to see you starting to get in about the M4L ScopeSync Roy. Unfortunately at this point in time I'm not getting anything out of the ScopeSync in Ableton. I was messing around with settings in Ableton for something else the other day so it's probably that which has caused it. I was still able to check out your patch using the BC ScopeSync64 Panel though and I like it. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks also for giving feedback on the workflow and functionality. Like Will says the control from the BC Control Panels to the modules is bidirectional so it makes it reasonably easy to find the value ranges. Also, if you use the BCM encoder presets you can adjust the ranges very accurately by typing in specific Min & Max values in Hz, ms, etc on the panel and this gives you the 32bit values to type into the control edit popup. I hope this helps, but please let me know if you still have any problems with the value ranges or anything else.

Return to BC Modular Patches