It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 am

SS-Waldorf

Where to share your BC Modular creations
  • Author

cwmod

Re: SS-Waldorf

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 pm

yep, everything works rock-solid.
Now, one thing that bugs me is that moving knobs in Able produces crackles, esp. the volume knob. Is it just me or an early-version problem?
The idea is terrific! But I don't know if it could be worked out so that we can actually use it in practice.
Some thoughts:
- can the above problem be solved
- if yes, is the goal to make "real" (=big) Scope Modular patches, which can be edited in Ableton, or just the most important parameters for tweaking
- I think parameter feedback is not so important if we could do all in Ableton
- I still haven't learned Max, and dunno how time-consuming it is to make a Max patch?
So far so good. And thank you both for all your work!

sharc

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Virtual crackly pots are definitely not desirable :shock:

It's not something I've noticed. The initial thing I would suggest is to make sure the ScopeSync signal isn't somehow finding its way into your mix either in Ableton or in the Scope routing window.

ScopeSync control isn't completely smooth, but it shouldn't be introducing crackles. Maybe try controlling a volume attenuator via an async to sync module and a Control Smooth S. Does this still give you crackles?

w_ellis

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi Roy,

Thanks for giving it a test and here's a few answers:
cwmod wrote:Now, one thing that bugs me is that moving knobs in Able produces crackles, esp. the volume knob. Is it just me or an early-version problem?
- can the above problem be solved

Have you checked that you're not sending the audio somewhere it shouldn't be going? Definitely haven't had any crackles here, unless I route the control signal to my speakers/headphones!
cwmod wrote:- if yes, is the goal to make "real" (=big) Scope Modular patches, which can be edited in Ableton, or just the most important parameters for tweaking

This comms method currently supports up to 128 controls, so it should support pretty big patches and you can always route more than one M4L patch to a shell, although in practical terms, we started to run into difficulties including too many SS modules in a Scope Modular shell. I can include 2x SS64s, but anything above and I start getting errors. I'd expect this to be more problematic within a complex patch.
cwmod wrote:- I think parameter feedback is not so important if we could do all in Ableton

There's actually some very nice benefits to setting up presets in Max For Live, instead of Scope, which might interest you given your recent morphing modules, as they support parameter interpolation when switching presets.

We'd still like to get bidirectional comms going though ultimately, for completeness. It actually shouldn't be too hard... one of the only annoyances in M4L for that is the daft restrictions on what data each M4L patch type can pass, so the Max Instrument (which we're using) can accept MIDI and send audio, so for bidirectional comms, we'd need to lose MIDI passthrough by switching it to be a Max Effect instead.
cwmod wrote:- I still haven't learned Max, and dunno how time-consuming it is to make a Max patch?

If you get time, run through the ScopeSync tutorial (http://bcmodular.wikispaces.com/ScopeSync+Technical+Info). Simple patch creation is very simple indeed, in fact you should find it very easy with your SDK experience. It's a bit more limited from a UI perspective, as you have to fit into the narrow window, but that's not a bad limitation in some ways. Feel free to give me a shout if you want a hand getting started, as I've learnt a lot over the last few months. As an example, the Waldorf patch took me an hour or so to put together the Scope side and probably about half as long to amend the SS16 M4L patch.

Finally, if you're interested, you'd be very welcome to join us in testing out pre-release versions as they are built. I just posted a VST port of this a couple of days ago and we're starting work on a version that doesn't use audio comms at the moment, although that's at proof of concept stage at the moment.

Thanks,
Will

P.S. In case you're really curious, the code is open source and available on github: http://bcmodular.github.io/scopesync/

cwmod

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

thanks for your replies!
I did some more testing tweaking the volume knob. actually, it's not crackles but very audible parameter jumps.
It doesn't matter if I tweak the Ableton knob with the mouse or a hardware controller.
http://www.cwmodular.org/mp3/SSwaldorfTest.mp3

If such behaviour doesn't happen in your systems, maybe it's my setup.
I don't know how challenging SS is for the PCI bus; maybe not at all, but it came to my grips because of the BSOD when using my new 32stereoCh mixer (which you can check here: http://www.cwmodular.org/files/Cwm32S-8CB.zip )
I like it very much but can only get 2x25 Asio channels + some Fx in Scope before getting PCI bus overload error.

sharc wrote:Maybe try controlling a volume attenuator via an async to sync module and a Control Smooth S

good idea, will try that later
w_ellis wrote:This comms method currently supports up to 128 controls, so it should support pretty big patches

sounds promising!
w_ellis wrote:Simple patch creation is very simple indeed, in fact you should find it very easy with your SDK experience. It's a bit more limited from a UI perspective, as you have to fit into the narrow window

limitation is good! more can be done with less (Atom?)

w_ellis

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 10:08 am

Interesting that you have audible parameter jumps, although I'd expect that if you are using regular mouse movement or a 7-bit MIDI controller. Have you tried changing the control with the mouse and CTRL- button pressed (which gives fine control). Alternatively, you can try using automation envelopes, which will give very smooth parameter changes.

ScopeSync shouldn't put any additional load on the PCI bus than regular ASIO channels, as the current implementation on the Scope side is purely using DSP atoms (no host processing). Simon will jump in if I'm talking crap on that though :)

cwmod

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 12:12 pm

sharc wrote:Maybe try controlling a volume attenuator via an async to sync module and a Control Smooth S

yep, this did the job. Pipe03>Async2Sync>CtrlSmmothS>PolyMix16(Lvl). No audible parameter stepping.
w_ellis wrote:Alternatively, you can try using automation envelopes, which will give very smooth parameter changes

this works also.
Conclusion: SS is a stunningly concept - all I'm missing now is some time creating device!

w_ellis

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 5:39 pm

We'd love to see any creations you come up with! If I get time, I'll add internal preset handling to a M4L patch, so you can try out the interpolation.

sharc

Site Admin

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 12:16 am

cwmod wrote:Conclusion: SS is a stunningly concept - all I'm missing now is some time creating device!

I know that feeling. There's never enough time in the day :(

Great to hear you got it working and I hope it can help inspire you to bless us with more of your creations 8-)
Previous

Return to BC Modular Patches