It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 pm

Project Mercury - Akai AX80 Clone

Where to share your BC Modular creations
  • Author

sharc

Site Admin

Project Mercury - Akai AX80 Clone

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Another of jhulks patches. This one's based on the Akai AX80 analogue polysynth.

Project Mercury_001.zip
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 433 times

BC Modular forum users may recall an earlier version of this patch which jhulk posted a dropbox link to here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3ch4wukkwxnli8/AKAI%20AX80_005.zip

Since then in collaboration with jhulk I've developed the patch a little further and added a BCM-48 Control Panel. Having never played an AX80 I've no idea how close this is to the original, but all the same I think this patch is coming along nicely. Even though we still plan on developing it further with a custom control panel and optimized SDK developed version in the pipeline, we've decided to share it as is for everyone to try out in meantime.

Enjoy :)

fra77x

Re: Project Mercury - Akai AX80 Clone

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Nice graphic!

fra77x

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Now i see that you have integrated modular with the bc control. Cool. Can anyone tell me about the behringer controller. Does it worth it? Does it offer faders and buttons? Other controls? Does it accept a volume pedal? Any info is appreciated.

w_ellis

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi John,

You'll find some useful material regarding BC Modular and the Behringer controllers here: http://bcmodular.wikispaces.com/FAQ and http://bcmodular.wikispaces.com/Behringer+B-Control (there's a guide to using one with BC Modular linked from there)

I own a BCR2000 and am borrowing a BCF2000. Both are very handy controllers, easy to program using the BC Manager software and with lots of 14bit-capable controllers on each. They also act as USB MIDI interfaces and have footswitch control inputs, so quite useful utility boxes for the studio. You can see from the pictures on the links above what controllers each has. The rotaries are endless, with programmable LEDs and the faders are motorised.

Cheers,
Will

fra77x

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 6:11 pm

It seems great. A must for soft instruments. I'm looking to BCR2000. And it's pretty cheap. 160 euro. Most probably i 'll get it. Turning pots is a must. Is the feel ok? I have used the behringer pedal board for a guitar fx i created. With 2 volume pedals and lot of foot switches it was cool...

Now i saw that the bc modular interfaces really smart the behringer control with the bc modules. Great work guys.

w_ellis

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Yeah, if you're only buying one, I definitely think the BCR is better value as it has a lot more controllers. I find the faders on the BCF are a little noisy, but good if you prefer the feel of faders.

sharc

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 7:22 pm

fra77x wrote:Now i see that you have integrated modular with the bc control. Cool.

Yes, the general idea behind BC Modular has always been to extend and enhance the control of modular. Whether it's being able to move high resolution faders with the mouse, type in exact values with the keyboard, plug in a game controller or as was the initial focus - to make it more accessible over MIDI from a B-Control.

The BCM module was the first module I produced for BC Modular. That's when it became apparent that the async control connections were needed and one module alone wasn't going to cut it. It's been a bit of a journey since then, but all sorts of new possibilities have presented themselves along the way and I'm really excited about the latest developments for the next update :)

Getting back to this patch... I know it's still a bit rough around the edges but you can get some cool sounds out of it.

Really I'm just happy to see that people are using BC Modular and starting to get some nice results from it.

fra77x

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 pm

How is the 14 bit control? 16384 positions sound a lot. Is it smooth? Is there anything complicated to make the controller send this kind of messages or is it easy? Do you lose any other function? In scope what do you do? You just pack together 2 midi stream messages ?

I'm just curious and just to gather some info before i do some tests of my own, it sounds very interesting indeed. ( i need the controller i know)

Thanks

sharc

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 9:13 pm

fra77x wrote:How is the 14 bit control? 16384 positions sound a lot. Is it smooth?
It depends on the control range and the type of parameter really. Usually with wide range frequency controls like a resonant filter cutoff for instance you might still need a control smoother or else could notice some stepping. This is especially the case if the control has a curve applied to focus more on a part of the frequency range.

fra77x wrote:Is there anything complicated to make the controller send this kind of messages or is it easy? Do you lose any other function?

It's reasonably simple to set up a control on the Behringer for 14bit MIDI. When setting up multiple controls the BC Manager software editor is the most painless. It can initially take a little bit of time to find your preferred settings for the acceleration - That's when faster turns cover a wider range than a slow turn of the knob.

In terms of what you lose - You use up your available MIDI CCs quicker because you're using two for a single parameter. Also at this time the BCM Modules only support 7bit CC's. That will change soon, but for now there is a separate ABS14 module to handle up to 32x 14bit MIDI CC's per channel.

sharc

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 9:26 pm

fra77x wrote:In scope what do you do? You just pack together 2 midi stream messages ?

In the modular you just connect up the MIDI to the ABS14 module as usual and then connect that to the parameters you want to use. The async parameter control in BC Modular is (for the most part) bi-directional so you don't need to worry about a separate connection for parameter feedback to the controller.

There is another downside here with 14-bit CC's. The ABS14 module only sends out parameter feedback to the B-Control on preset changes. It doesn't do anything with mouse controlled changes to parameters on a continuous basis although there is a Ctrlr Panel which can be used for mouse editing as a go-between. On a positive note the upcoming HUI module will fully handle both input and output for 14-bit CC ...if that's as much as you need.

If in doubt about BC Modular 14-bit control, you can use the Ctrlr panel as a testbed since it uses the same method of communication. Try using the mousewheel on the Ctrlr panel controls and then imagine being able to adjust the control more intuitively with something more tactile and responsive like a B-Control knob.
Next

Return to BC Modular Patches