It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Filter Design

Where to share your BC Modular creations
  • Author

sharc

Site Admin

Filter Design

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 5:08 pm

A number of years ago Warp69 started a thread on PlanetZ to discuss filter design. With his permission I've recreated the SDK algos he posted in BC Modular.

Warp69 Filters.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 432 times

The patch comprises of three CLM modules which have each been locked to one dsp so as to keep latencies in check.

Over time I plan to build upon these patches and demonstrate other approaches like those which tgstgs contributed to the original thread.

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun and add there own filter experiments here too :)

fra77x

Re: Filter Design

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 pm

I believe it would be better if you post the sdk circuit instead. I'm not a user of bc modular but in general the modular graphics are confusing me.

Just an idea...

sharc

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

The download links for Warp69's SDK patches on his old thread are dead. Any Scope/XITE user can load this BC Modular patch and learn from it though. This includes SDK developers, but I'll save you the trouble of tracing the connections ;)
Attachments
Filters.zip
Original Warp69 Filter Design SDK module for reference purposes.
(67.85 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

fra77x

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 am

You must admit sdk circuits are way more clear than modular.

sharc

Site Admin

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 3:57 am

fra77x wrote:You must admit sdk circuits are way more clear than modular.

Sometimes, yes :)

A good layout in the SDK is usually easier to track than a good layout in the modular.

The modular shell has some features like being able to solo routings by cable colour or module which would be nice to have in the SDK though.

fra77x

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 am

I never miss these. In the sdk there is one distinction. Async - sync. green- blue.

w_ellis

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

There's a much larger user-base of Modular than the SDK and it has a shallower learning curve for newer users, especially those who just want to start by tweaking existing patches. Not to mention the fact that the SDK is not available to users that don't have a 15dsp card or Xite.

P.S. It's also worth noting that this is the BC Modular Patches sub-forum :)

jhulk

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 pm

the clm shell is great for creating filter modules

i did a polymoog and an korg s3200 resonator

and i have just done a 7 band formant string filter by using the clm shell

and not every one has the sdk5

I'm waiting for my key

so the bc modular is a good way of circuit designs and you can save them as mdl and reuse them like any other module which is great for me

jhulk

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:27 pm

ok so to carry on from where shark left of i have designed a morphing filter with diode ring feedback this adds extra ringing and can make this filter self oscillate

it uses a technique that tom oberhiem used on the original sem voice module its an svf filter with lowpass band pass and hipass the lowpass and hipass are put to gether in a pot the input and output are joined to the lowpass and hipass outputs and then the wiper is used as the sum of both parts

this acts like a crossfade mixer and you get variable notch filter output as the lowpass and hipass are added together and they cancel frequencies from each other out

so it goes from lowpass to notch in center to hipass

also on this design i added the variable notch as a imput to a crossfade mixer and the bandpass out put this way you can morph from the output of the variable notch what ever it is set at and the bandpass output by moving slowly you can change the filter topology in real time which is neat specially with pad sounds where you have long notes

the resonate section is made up of 3 diodes + 3 diode in reverse and feed back into the first diode input and the sum output then goes into a crossfade mixer along with the normal feedback output so that you can set how much of the diode ring distortion is feedback

on the original the sem only uses 2 diodes the ms20 uses more i was after the ms20 style distorting feedback for that squelchy type sound

here is the clm use it in your own circuits and soon will be a bc module

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nygbkw7zywoks ... k.mdl?dl=0

its just some things you can do with the building blocks from bcmodular modules

sharc

Site Admin

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 8:23 pm

This is great!!. You can get some really nice (and nasty :twisted:) sounding filters out of it. Thanks for sharing 8-)
Next

Return to BC Modular Patches