It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 am

A little something about MIDI controller support

What hardware and software do you use to control or be controlled by BC Modular?
  • Author

sharc

Site Admin

A little something about MIDI controller support

PostSun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Way back six years ago when I first started work on BC Modular, the original concept was simply to build a MIDI control module for Scope Modular. Because my preferred controller from the two I had at my disposal at the time was a Behringer B-Control, I decided to base the design of this control module on the Behringer. It didn't take long to realize through the process of developing this control module however that the best control could only be achieved by building my own modular modules with connections available to the parameters which would normally be represented by a knob, slider or switch on the module surface. These are after all the parameters you would want to have hands on control of. These are the parameters which you would want to have the ability to fine tune their control ranges and curves. Where possible you may also want to achieve a higher resolution of control over these parameters than regular MIDI CC assignments could provide.

That's how the idea developed from a single control module to a collection of over 400 modular modules. BC Modular is a lot more than was originally intended. It's a concept which has continued to grow and evolve. I can see how certain design elements not to mention my decision to stick with the original name have resulted in a common misconception that BC Modular is all about Behringer Controllers. This, as most members of this forum have figured out by now, isn't the case at all. The only added benefit of using Behringer B-Control hardware with BC Modular as opposed to another MIDI controller is that the BCM modules have a similar visual style and layout to the B-Control units. Nothing more.

I do understand that having a correlation between what you see on screen and what you see on your MIDI controller is something to be appreciated. It's much more intuitive that way. With this in mind, I've been thinking why should this benefit be limited to Behringer controllers? So, I've decided to start extending the range of MIDI controllers directly supported by BC in the form of control panel modules. This isn't something which will be completed overnight. It will take time, but I think it will be time well spent.

What I'd like to hear from everyone is what MIDI controller you would like to see supported. I've already had a request for Mackie Control support and this is something I'm pursuing.

Please post your requests here and if possible any information on the controllers whether it be links to user manuals, user forum sites or manufacturers websites. Please however keep in mind that by posting a request you will also be volunteering to test the control panel module. ;)

mambajim

Re: A little something about MIDI controller support

PostTue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 am

Pad sounds nice....
Now I will have BCM/BCF/Pad maybe.

Just for the sake of my pleasure using BCM and BCFs', I am using the BCF to control BCM GUIs in multiple patches on multiple channels. The Push Encoders work well and the Faders too, as long as I stay in the preferred modes of standalone.
Using BCM Encoders in their Rotary function and Faders on the hardware can use the GUIs to track the hardware perfectly well.
Editing using the GUIs is really nice too as I am finding the slightest movements of pitch modulation in sync mode with AHD, ADSR and Pitch Modifiers yeilds timbres I was missing as I played around on miniature knobs of the Scope GUI.

So thanks again.
JVee

sharc

Site Admin

PostTue Sep 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I agree and I know I'm not the only one who likes to have a match between what's shown on screen and the hardware controller.

Funnily enough I can see it working even better for controllers which unlike the B-Control don't have motorized faders and encoders with LED rings. When you switch presets on the patch with those type of controllers you're flying blind. This is an age old problem which even goes back to gear pre-dating MIDI.

A number of these types of MIDI controller try to deal with the problem by using some sort of latch mode where the controller receives the CC values on preset changes and then only sends out CC's when you move the fader or knob past those current values. However, you're still left guessing what those values are. This is where I think having an accurate visual reference on screen could be most useful.

Pygmy Audio Farms

PostFri Apr 04, 2014 6:58 am

Wacom tablet
http://www.wacom.com/en/gb/

I use a Wacom Bamboo to control parameters in Kyma.
The touch control is accurate and in conjunction with the pen
the angle, distance from the controller tablet and pressure all can be mapped to midi.
Its a high resolution controller with a lot of control possibilities from x-y control, rotary, pressure, etc

It would be great to have the Wacom integrated with BCModular

jksuperstar

PostFri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 pm

I have an "older" Wacom Graphire...that would be *really* interesting! And very high resolution. And probably very similar to the Joystick module...using a HUI module of some kind.

Kyma/Symbolic Sound link:
http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Company/KymaX1Released

sharc

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 pm

I don't have a Wacom tablet so I wouldn't be able to test any solutions, but it might be possible to use GlovePie or similar to convert tablet input to joystick.

If you have Ableton Live with M4L there are Max externals which deal with Wacom input - for example http://metason.cnrs-mrs.fr/Resultats/MaxMSP/

Using a customised ScopeSync M4L plugin you'd probably get the highest possible resolution control of BC Modular from your Wacom.

Pygmy Audio Farms

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am

Glove pie - hmmm that sounds like using the wiimote to connect to bcmodular! Which should mean the kinect controller to bcmodular is possible?

previously mapped all these using midiox and a couple of shoehorns to make them work in scope
and connect a stanton scs3d using bomes midi translator

always happy to test anything
Cheers!

http://www.midiox.com/

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-contro ... scs3d.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/

http://www.wiimoteproject.com/

sharc

Site Admin

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Pygmy Audio Farms wrote:Glove pie - hmmm that sounds like using the wiimote to connect to bcmodular! Which should mean the kinect controller to bcmodular is possible?

Yes, that should work. You might need to use a combination of PPjoy and GlovePIE to get those controllers to register as a windows game controller which could then access bcmodular at a higher resolution than regular MIDI via the Joystick A module.

A good alternative would be to set them up as 14-bit MIDI controllers using GlovePIE and feed that into the BC Modular HUI-8F and ABS14 modules.

Pygmy Audio Farms

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 10:39 am

Cheers for this advice, I've wanted higher resolution from these controllers in Scope for ages!

w_ellis

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Give me a shout if you want to try to build a M4L plugin based on ScopeSync... shouldn't be too hard to get working.

Return to Integration