It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 pm

High Resolution HID Options

What hardware and software do you use to control or be controlled by BC Modular?
  • Author

sharc

Site Admin

High Resolution HID Options

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 pm

As you all know the Joystick A module in BC Modular is compatible with any Windows 'game controller' and automatically adjusts its internal ranges to suit the resolution of the connected controller.

I've previously gone into a little bit of detail on some options for this on the BC Wiki - http://bcmodular.wikispaces.com/Joystick+A

Until recently I hadn't found any information on joysticks higher than 14bit resolution.

Apparently though, having stumbled across the following links, 16bit resolution is possible via both consumer joysticks and the DIY approach:

- http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23681-Many-axis-joystick
- http://hunt.net.nz/users/darran/weblog/15f92/
- http://www.72ndvfw.org/forum/m/5688083/viewthread/7289579-software-that-lets-me-check-joystick-resolution

I especially like the look of Arduino solution as those can be picked up for a ridiculously low price 8-)

w_ellis

Re: High Resolution HID Options

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm definitely interested in this. I'm more of a gamepad man, having never really played flight sims or tank emulations :) It would be pretty cool to DIY a board that has two high resolution thumb-sticks!

sharc

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Or for analog modular users a MOTM or Eurorack module with 16bit joystick and a couple of 16bit pots with USB output :D

Lots of interesting DIY possibilities. The only problem really (apart from building it) is the lack of control feedback for encoders. I wonder if there's a way to do that :?:

jksuperstar

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 am

Motorized knobs exist, but they're pretty expensive and suited just for home stereo amplifiers.

However, you can take two pots on the same shaft, and have 1 90 degress from the other, and remove the stops. You then get full 360 endless turning, but each knob requires two ADC and you also need a little smarts to "decode" the pot values and look for roll-over. No "LED blinks when you arrived at the value" necessary, but an LED ring to indicate where you are is helpful.

This requires modifying the pots, usually.

sharc

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 pm

jksuperstar wrote:Motorized knobs exist, but they're pretty expensive and suited just for home stereo amplifiers.

However, you can take two pots on the same shaft, and have 1 90 degress from the other, and remove the stops. You then get full 360 endless turning, but each knob requires two ADC and you also need a little smarts to "decode" the pot values and look for roll-over. No "LED blinks when you arrived at the value" necessary, but an LED ring to indicate where you are is helpful.

This requires modifying the pots, usually.

That's interesting. I would imagine a single pot per axis would still be quite smooth, but I guess I won't know for sure until I try it out.

For some tasks I think a precision pot and vernier dial could even be used.

One limitation is that the Joystick A module only supports 4 axis per instance. I can expand this to 6 easily enough, but even still that's only enough for 1 joystick and 4x knobs.

I was thinking it should be possible to use paired button inputs for encoders, but then we have the issue of the LEDs receiving updates from BC Modular which I'm not sure would be possible without getting into developing custom drivers etc. In this case you might be left without the LED and need to use the on-screen controls for reference.

Return to Integration