This is the place to chat if you need any help using BC Modular
  • Author

JoPo

Control ranger

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 8:46 pm

I use a lot the 'control ranger' module. The simpliest one :

C_range.jpg
C_range.jpg (2.94 KiB) Viewed 3456 times

I know the other control ranger modules, even if they are a bit weird to me.. Let me explain : I'd like the 'control ranger' module, the one in the jpg with min & max input to set them with an external fader. I know there is 'control ranger basic' which has min & max input but I don't understand why it has 2 min & max input ! :o I just don't get it ! Even if Shark helped me to use it ! I know, I know, I'm not very smart but I don't have any choice : I must do with what I've got between my ears and nothing more : I can't add any brain matter.. :?

Why isn't there any simple control ranger module with only ONE min and only ONE max input ?? :cry: The world would be so simplier !

EDIT :
Ooops ! I have got a second question... I'm modulating a BCmodular 1 band eq frequency with a sine lfo. To avoid negative value (lfo are bipolar), I pass thru 'bipolar to pos' module. But the result is not symmetrical at all ! It goes much faster on one side than the other... Is there another module to get better result ? I'm using a control curve, the result is not too bad but I'd like to know if there is a way to get a nice symmetrical unipolar curve.

Thanks a lot !

sharc

Site Admin

Re: Control ranger

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 6:12 pm

The Control Ranger Basic is pretty straightforward really. You can set the range for control connected at A and/or B. Because it converts both ways the source control can be connected at either A or B.

In the attached example patch I've set it up to perform the task of converting the range of the LFO for modulating the EQ frequency as you describe.

example1.zip
(308.19 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

JoPo wrote:I pass thru 'bipolar to pos' module. But the result is not symmetrical at all ! It goes much faster on one side than the other.

The bipolar to pos module had a bug in earlier BC releases. Make sure you're using the latest version. Also check the control you're modulating is linear - The EQ frequency fader on the BC popup in the attached example isn't and would appear to move faster at one end than the other. The non-linearity of the parameter being modulated is what counts here. Not the fader on the popup. ;)

JoPo

Re: Control ranger

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Excellent ! Thanks you, Shark.

Ok , for the non linear freq value, I get it. And when I put the lfo modulation on the eq gain input modulation, I can see a sinusoid in the gain fader movement -> that one must be linear !? So in fact, everything was normal !

And thanks again for the control ranger example : that's exactly what I was trying to achieve with it. I just don't still understand very well why there is 2 min/max input.. :mrgreen: One is enough for me ! But ok for 2 ! And I can use A or B, that's fine. 8-)

Thanks a lot for all those info !

Return to Support