It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Special env follower

This is the place to chat if you need any help using BC Modular
  • Author

JoPo

Special env follower

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi !

I'm looking for an env follower (maybe to call it env follower is not a good idea...Let's call it mmmm ... a ... module !! That's it ! A module !) which would work on frequency signal. I try to explain... On a frequency analyser, one can see which frequency has the most amplitude (or gain ? :?: ), is there a module which delivers the most strong frequency value at its output ? I'd like to obtain this changing value to modulate some other modules...
I have tried some Flexor modules like freq 2 note or freq monitor but it gives frequency signal value (how many period/second), not which frequency is the louder.
I tried also FLL tuner & PLL tuner of modular IV without interesting result.

I'm not sure that this kind of module already exists... But based on a frequency analyser, it should be possible to build such a module.. :?:

Thanks !

cwmod

Re: Special env follower

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi Jopo!
JoPo wrote:I'm not sure that this kind of module already exists...

It does. It's called Vocoder Analysis.

JoPo

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm

:P
Thanks, roy ! I was far to guess vocoder analysis was such a device... In fact, I never tried it, as vocoder is boring me since I hear it in too much radio tunes several some years... it but I will try it tomorrow for the purpose I'm looking for !

JoPo

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 4:48 pm

I undestand what vocoder analysis module is about now... But it's not exactly what i'm looking for.
Maybe I should explain in a different way.
Imagine you have a simple sound which is filtered by a lowpass with some resonance, the cutoff is modulated by an lfo. I'd like to have a module which would be able to analyse, mesure what is the modulated cutoff frequency value and output this value. A module which would get back the cutoff frequency value of an audio signal, like geting back the original lfo frequency signal.. I don't know if it's clear enough.
:?
The sound which is going into modular is filtered and this filter is modulated by an lfo --> the audio goes into the module of my dream, the module outputs the same frequency value of the filter cutoff of the sound signal going into modular... --> I can use this frequency value to modulate other modules... 8-) Easy ! :mrgreen:

Does such a module exists on earth ? Or do I have to change planet ? :|

Thanks a lot !

sharc

Site Admin

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 pm

JoPo wrote:The sound which is going into modular is filtered and this filter is modulated by an lfo --> the audio goes into the module of my dream, the module outputs the same frequency value of the filter cutoff of the sound signal going into modular... --> I can use this frequency value to modulate other modules... 8-) Easy ! :mrgreen:

You already have the cutoff frequency value so I'm guessing you want the frequency of the source instead?

If so, then iirc this can be achieved by taking the filtered signal -> comparator -> clocked counter ...in extremely simplified terms. I need to refresh my memory on doing this in sync though as I suspect an async counter would be too slow to produce anything useful.

sharc

Site Admin

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 pm

...it could be that an existing FFT atom could make this task more efficient. Either way, there's a point you can reach where building something as a BC patch (or indeed SDK device) might not be the best use of DSP resources.

A few things are better handled by the CPU and the best of native plugins which are focused at a particular task are the result of a serious amount of development time. That's not to say Scope 'couldn't' do better in those cases. However in a few instances it is 'not likely' to do better ;)

JoPo

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 am

Yes ! That's what I thought : an fft analyser shows frequency values like I wish to get. One just have to convert its analyse curve into modulation signal, that's it ! :mrgreen:

I begin to think about getting SDK... But it scares me a bit.. Maybe for my next long holidays ! :P
I have a lot of non-existent device ideas !

Eanna

PostFri Apr 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Very late to this party... not sure if you got where you wanted to go JoPo...

In terms of the module that sharc has described there, and what you want to achieve...
Have you looked at the PLL and FLL Tuner devices in Modular IV? Check them out: http://www.cwmodular.org/pitch_fx.html.

Flexor also has these modules: http://www.adern.com/manuals/flexor/ref ... tch2cv.htm
I dont own flexor, so I can vouch for those...

Thing is, will it detect a resonant peak as the fundamental frequency? Would it react differently if the resonant peak was on a high-pass rather than a low-pass filter?
I would be interested in your experience, especially if you have the chance to try those flexor modules...

Cheers, Eanna

JoPo

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm certainly a bit late to give you an answer...

But I must say that the Flexor module (Pitch 2 CV II) has very great result. The Pitch 2 CV II is for vocals and I'm trying to modulate things in modular with the vocal frequency signal. I'm very happy of its result !

Return to Support