It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 pm

MIDI Controllers

The place to share your ScopeSync developments
  • Author

sharc

Site Admin

MIDI Controllers

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 7:56 pm

The plan here is to build a collection of ScopeSync configurations which are geared towards specific MIDI controllers. These can either be used as a template for building new configurations or loaded (sometimes in a reduced capacity) as layouts for existing configurations.

First up we have the Behringer B-Control units...

MIDI Controllers.zip
(465.52 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

These have been packaged up in an installer which will create a MIDI Controllers folder in the ScopeSync install location.

Once installed the file library needs updated. To do this load up ScopeSync (VST or SS128A) and click on the 'user settings' icon at the top-right. Then click on the 'File Locations' button at the top-left of this window. Make sure that your ScopeSync install directory is listed as a location and click on 'Rebuild library'. All done!

Now you can access the new MIDI Controller Configurations and Layouts :)

dawman

Re: MIDI Controllers

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks Sharc........

Looking good and works just like you say it would.
I am getting a Physis K4 controller fwiw.
Want a QuNexus...?

sharc

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Having a shot of one would certainly make it a lot easier to figure out the best approach to building a ScopeSync controller layout for it. I've spent a while looking at the documentation and editor for the QuNexus and the momentary aspect of the control keeps throwing me.

That Physis K4 looks a lot easier to do one for - 9x rotaries, 9x faders and 9x buttons.

Just one question. How big do you want it ?

dawman

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 12:39 am

Big as you can make it, but here's the pdf to read up on. This thing is a dream come true.

User Manual K4-K5 (EN) V12.zip
(4.68 MiB) Downloaded 345 times

jksuperstar

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 am

Is there a GUI editor of some kind for the XML configs?

I'd like to make a new panel for scope synths...like XTC mode, in a way. So, maybe a MiniMax, or Prodyssey. Any hints?

w_ellis

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 8:40 am

Unfortunately we've not had time to build a GUI editor just yet. It's quite a big undertaking for a small team like us and there are only a few examples of where it's been done really well (I'd say Max/MSP is one).

However, we've tried to make the XML as easy to work with as possible, so it should be at least as easy as putting together a web page in some respects. For instance, there's an XSD file that means that errors are highlighted if you use an editor like Eclipse or Visual Studio. Also, you can define the position of elements relative to others, simplifying the definition of layouts. Also, there's a template system built in, which minimises the amount of work for each individual control. Also, you can get quick feedback on changes you make, by hitting reload on a ScopeSync instance using the layout you're editing.

For me, I think it's actually more flexible and ultimately quicker (once you've got your head around it) than a GUI editor, as you can work more programmatically. However, in the longer term it would be nice to have both options. We'd also be up for collaborating if anyone fancied trying to put one together.

If you'd like some help getting started, just give me or Simon a shout and we'll happily spend time working through stuff with you. I plan to put together an intro video at some point, but that might not happen until we have the OSC support fully up and running (which is progressing well, btw.)

P.S. Worth discussing with Simon which layouts he's already taken a look into, as he'd made a start on a Miniscope ScopeSync edition. The synths you've mentioned might be trickier, as you'd probably need to go via MIDI mapping.

jksuperstar

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Will...I'd probably use emacs or vi, but it's good to know about the XSD.

I was thinking of combining the modularized version of MiniMax (I think it was from djmicron, not a modular patch but a device turned into a module), in a BCM shell using Simon's newer midimap-scopesync shell, and see if I can get ScopeSync control over a "standard" device. That would give me all the things I want from XTC mode, without having to use it (automation) with the bonus that ScopeSync brings, like high rez cntrl, touch, and no midi jitter.

w_ellis

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 5:19 pm

Will definitely be interested to hear how you get on with that.

In case you weren't already aware, this might be handy in emacs: http://www.thaiopensource.com/nxml-mode/. I'm sure there's similar for vi

sunmachine

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 7:01 pm

By the way, we can also put the ScopeSync configurations on scopeportal.com so they might get some more publicity. You can get your own account for the site to add your configurations or just sent me or Egil a message.

dawman

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 1:06 am

Here's the upgrade I was waiting for.
Fixed everything, the GUI is basically the same, just posted for the sake of completeness.

Upgrade 1.1.0.zip
(18.57 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
8-)
Next

Return to Configurations